Monday, June 30, 2008

Summer


Summer!


Remember when all you had to do was run through a sprinkler? Or lay on your back and watch the clouds float by? I definately remember and love being able to share these simple joys with my boys.

What has happened to childhood? When asked "what are your kids doing this summer?" I always reply, "playing." I am fortunate enough to be able to be home during the week. I know this is not the case for everyone. I just don't see the need to schedule all of my children's time with organized activities. They are only 4 and 7 and should be left to enjoy what little time there is to just be kids with not a care in the world. As parents, we are told that in order for our children to be "great" they should learn x, y, and z.... Yes, they should. But, they should also learn what wonders await when all they have is a backyard and all the time in a day to fill it with wonderous things from their imaginations.

Think about your own childhood and what made summers really special. Was it running from sport to sport or camp to camp? Or was it those days when you could work on that fort or tree house? Or catch crayfish in the pond? How about just sitting under a tree watching ants and thinking about the worlds that exist underground?

Have a wonderful lazy summer!

8 comments:

Orgo Cosmetics said...

What a lovely post! I remember running through the sprinkler and pointing out shapes in clouds when I was little! It was so fun! Yeah, give the kids the summer to be kids! :)

Rosebud Collection said...

You are so right..I always had the sprinkler on for the girls..we always enjoy life together. Loved looking at clouds, ants, and all kinds of things. Even let them have "barn sales" to make a few dollars..Meteor showers are fun too..August has a great one coming..who needs fireworks? I truly miss all that..

LazyTcrochet said...

Great post. I spent a whole lot more time outside than my kids do. I did play in the pool a lot too, which is what my daughter has been doing. She loves playing with her friends in the pool. Fall is my time to be in the woods. I love to walk in the fall.

Angie said...

Mmmm... I miss being a kid and getting to play allll summer.....

K.C. said...

This was a wonderful post.. That is what my kids are doing, too. They are just playing. When school starts, we will be planning their play... But, for now.. they are just playing... Great post. Kayce

T.Allen said...

You are absolutely right. Thinking back at the hours of fun and incredible "meals" prepared from rocks and leaves, dirt and water, how the boy from the next building was really a "monster" and a jumprope was a "snake". Swaet nostalgia. Have an imaginative summer...

13 Delancey Street said...

What a great summer photo! I used to love running through the sprinklers :-)

Freckled Pink said...

Good words! I have such fun memories of those times as a child, and I, too, think kids are WAY overscheduled these days. Enjoy your summer with your boys!